Canterbury Bells

Canterbury Bells
Canterbury Bells represent Gratitude in the Language of Flowers

Monday, February 27, 2012

LIZ' 50TH BIRTHDAY



Don’t you just love happy surprises?  Liz O’Neall got one last weekend when family and friends surprised her with a 50th birthday party.  What isn’t a surprise is that Liz and I have been friends for 15 years....she’s the kind of person that once you meet her you want to keep her in your life.

1997. Having just closed my bookstore and not knowing what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, I turned to more education at University of Phoenix. I also thought I might network with other students enrolled that could lead to a job for me. 
First night of class for a Master’s Degree.  (You’re never too old to have first night class jitters.)  When they formed study groups, suggesting we choose people who live or work near us, Liz and I discovered we both lived in Ahwatukee...so began our journey.

Now here’s the SERENDIPITY part of this blog entry. Liz, who was working for National Purchasing Association at the time, said she was looking for someone part time in her department.  So I didn’t get a job but she hired my daughter, Roberta, who went on to a wonderful career there for over 15 years. But the best was yet to come...it’s also the place where Roberta met her husband Pete, who arrived in Phoenix one day to talk to her manager. 

So not only did I get a great study partner and  a good friend, but a wonderful son-in-law. Thanks Liz for your friendship, for taking a chance on Berta (Liz said later is was the best hiring decision she ever made—mother’s perogative to brag) and providing the opportunity to bring Pete into our lives.

Through the years, I’ve had the pleasure of watching Liz become a terrific mom to Kristen and Megan.  I hope someday I can pay it forward to her daughters as she did mine.  Serendipity....a fortuitous happenstance.   Happy Birthday Liz.

No comments:

Post a Comment